[CentOS] OFF Topic - Looking for web based file management application for law firm & clients

Mark Weaver

mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Fri Feb 6 14:57:04 UTC 2009

Christopher Chan wrote:
> Ed Morrison wrote:
>> Hi All:
>>
>> I am working with a law firm that would like to offer to it's clients
>> the ability to access their documents through a web interface.  This
>> would require a nice gui to offer the clients with a simple process for
>> the clients to download from.  It would also need to be secure
>> (authentication & SSL), and mandatory disclaimer acceptance before
>> logging into their account.  Anyone with experience or thoughts on this
>> matter?
>
> I was also looking for something like this. You can find a whole load of
> choices here:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Document_management_system
>
> A lot of the open source ones are built on Java like the two mentioned
> in this thread Afresco and KnowledgeTree.
>
> One that is not listed but is possibly less of a hassle to setup and
> maybe fit the law firm's needs is Epiware:
>
> http://www.epiware.com
> http://www.linux.com/feature/146307
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/epiware/
>
> No java involved and you get an online demo to look at first too.

Hi Chris,

Bless you for the links to Epiware... I don't know that I would have
every found this one otherwise. I have a client that has been asking for
something like this and I was about to start writing the thing from
scratch. You just saved me two months worth of coding! Bless you!!!

Epiware has turned out to be the cat's meow.

By the way... In case anyone has looked at this and wasn't able to
figure out how to keep user folders hidden except for the user they're
created for it can be done with epiware out of the box. I've got the
step-by-step. Email me off-list and I'll send'em to ya.

Mark