[CentOS] real SATA RAID

Sam centos at net153.net
Sun Feb 8 21:33:27 UTC 2009

Paolo Supino wrote:
> Hi
>
>   Last week I had a lengthy thread in which someone indicated the my SIL
> card is a FRAID (don't know if F stands for the F word or Fake, though
> it doesn't really matter). I want to replace the controller with a
> controller that Linux will see the RAID1 group as a single HD and not
> multiple HDs as it happens with the SIL controller. Recommendations anyone?
>

> --
> TIA
> Paolo

The software raid in linux with mdadm is very powerful.  Alot of people
stay away from software raid because they think that a hardware solution
would be easier to work with.  But with a hardware solution, how do you
monitor the status of your drives?  There is usually windows software
for that but normally a linux client is non existent.  All of the
monitoring and management is built into mdadm.  Once you learn it, it is
very easy to use and you can move your raid array from system to system
as long as mdadm is installed.  You certainly can't move a hardware raid
  setup to another machine unless the cards are identical.

Sam