[CentOS] clustering and load balancing Apache, using nginx

Sergej Kandyla sk.paix at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 10:49:48 UTC 2009

Rainer Duffner пишет:
> Sergej Kandyla schrieb:
>
>> Hi,
>> apache is good as backend server for dynamic applications.
>> You could use something like nginx, haproxy as frontend for balancing
>> multiple backend servers.
>> I'm using nginx. This light web server could serve many thousand
>> concurrent connections! It works great!
>>
>> look at
>> http://wiki.codemongers.com/NginxLoadBalanceExample
>> http://blog.kovyrin.net/2006/08/25/haproxy-load-balancer/lang/en/
>> http://blog.kovyrin.net/2006/05/18/nginx-as-reverse-proxy/lang/en/
>> and http://highscalability.com/
>>

> Yup. NGINX is probably the fastest way to serve content nowadays.
> But content has to be static and be available as a file (AFAIK) directly
> to NGINX.

No, nginx could serve any kind of content via ngx_http_proxy_module
module http://wiki.codemongers.com/NginxHttpProxyModule
For example I'm using nginx as reverse proxy for tomcat
servers\applications.
Also I've wrote some article about using nginx in shared hosting sphere.
Look at http://directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27344

When content located on the some server (or via NAS\SAN) nginx could
serve this content directly using some efficient mechanisms like sendfile
http://wiki.codemongers.com/NginxHttpCoreModule#sendfile

For serving static content nginx even more times efficient than ftp!!
On some servers with low-power hardware like celeron\sempron processors
and 512M ram I have upload rate nearly 100mbit, It's not limit for
nginx, its a limit of sata disks and chanel to that servers :)

As for load-balancing:
http://wiki.codemongers.com/NginxHttpUpstreamModule
http://barry.wordpress.com/2008/04/28/load-balancer-update/