[CentOS] rt_cache leak in 2.6.18

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Wed Feb 11 20:22:43 UTC 2009

Hector Herrera wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is a CentOS 5.2 box configured as a router for a network handling
> about 200-300 Mbps, routing traffic to/from the internet for about 6,000
> IPs.

> Therefore ... I'm at a loss as to where to go from here.  Certainly
> rebooting the server every day is not an option, and increasing the
> max_size will just delay it.

> Suggestions?

Use a real router or L3 switch to do the job instead of a PC? Or
run the newer patched kernel on the system. 300mbit is trivial.

Even modern good gigabit L3 switches can forward over 100 million
packets per second, which is tens of gigs of data. (not talking
cisco gear, it's astonishing how poor performing most cisco
gear is given their prices).

nate