[CentOS] Logrotate base

Paul Bijnens Paul.Bijnens at xplanation.com
Thu Feb 12 15:12:07 UTC 2009

On 2009-02-12 15:47, jkinz at kinz.org wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 01:08:24PM +0800, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
>
> Hi Fajar, re logrotate and crontab:  I was speaking from instinct
> knowing that crontab and a simple script to do the actual
> rotation is all that is needed.  What I didn't expect was that
> someone had actually reinvented all the functionality of crontab
> to create a totally new utility that is much more limited than
> crontab.

You mean "anacron"?  Then you must read the man page again.
It is intended to be used on those circumstances where cron would not
work.  E.g. on computers that are not always on, like most laptops.
In that case cron would never run the logrotate script scheduled
at 4 am in the morning.
And, in fact anacron is not really bloated either, rather small, I would say.

> Unfortunately, logrotate is, as implied by your earlier post, a totally
> separate tool when all that was needed was a small script invoked by
> cron.  My apologies for my earlier post.

logrotate still is that simple script to be invoked by (ana)cron.

--
Paul Bijnens, Xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.525
Interleuvenlaan 86, B-3001 Leuven, BELGIUM          Fax  +32 16 397.552