[CentOS] After electric breaking: HARDWARE ERROR Kernel panic

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Feb 13 08:35:12 UTC 2009

Vnpenguin wrote:
> Hi all,
> After an electric breaking, my server (Centos 5.2 x86_64 with all
> updates) can not boot. The error message on screen is:

> Memory for crash kernel (0x0 to 0x0) notwithin permissible range
> <0>
> HARDWARE ERROR
> CPU 1: Machine Check Exception:   7 Bank 4: ....
> RIP 10:<.....>
> TSC 133eab63c9 ADDR 24fe3d028
> This is not a software problem!
> Run through mcelog --ascii to decode and contact your hardware vendot
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Uncorrected machine check
>
> Anyone could tell me how to fix this please ! Help !

you have a hardware problem.   something fried on the motherboard,
possibly the ram, maybe something else..   if the server is on some sort
of service contract or warranty, call the hardware or support vendor.
if not, find someone skilled at troubleshooting x86_64 server hardware.

I believe the Machine Check Exception: 7 Bank 4 does seem to indicate
its a memory ECC issue with DIMM bank 4 on CPU 1 (I'm guessing this is
an Opteron system?)

you might try booting a memtest86 CD and seeing if that runs.