[CentOS] realtime backup

Brian Mathis brian.mathis at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 14:32:03 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

>> CentOS List wrote on Wed, 18 Feb 2009 14:30:16 +0800:
>>
>> > every 5mins
>>
>> How big and what engine is the db to be secured?
>> Backing up that often doesn't make sense to me. If you need to have it
>> that frequently you better go for a slave or write to two backends.
>
> Or just use a RAID array (eg software RAID in mirror mode: RAID1).

RAID IS NOT BACKUP
RAID IS NOT BACKUP
RAID IS NOT BACKUP

To the OP:
It would be helpful if you were more descriptive about what you are
trying to accomplish.  Are you worried about disk failures?  Are you
worried about the whole system failing?  What about the case where
invalid data is added to the database? (or the database gets corrupted
in general?)  Do you want to have a hot backup of the database
standing by so you can switch to it if the main one goes down?  Each
of these have different solutions.