[CentOS] fotran 77 with amd64 technology

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Feb 18 19:27:02 UTC 2009

Pavel Ritto wrote:
> What is the right way to compile a fortran 77 file using the amd64
> bits technology? If I write f77 -m64 -march=opteron file.f and then
> run a.out, the time of execution is so slow as if it I  had´nt called
> to 64bits option. what is happening?

I thought the Gnu Fortran compiler was called g77 ? ... oh, I see, f77
is a link to g77.   yes, -m64 should generate x86_64 code...    I dunno
what -march=opteron does.

otherwise, insufficient information to diagnose your problem.   was this
fortran program written for GCC F77 ?   is it slow because its CPU bound
or is it slow because its swapping?

(note, btw, I haven't actually touched fortran since the 1970s)