[CentOS] BiND Failover

Per Qvindesland

per at norhex.com
Fri Feb 20 12:29:39 UTC 2009

Hi list,

I've two servers running the same ldap service. A is primary server and B is
simply a mirror, and accounts from server A are constantly synchronized with
B.

Now I don't have a automatic failover solution, whenever server A goes down,
I have to point the domain's A record to server B and wait for the DNS to
get updated. Takes quite a lot of time but the ldap service is crucial to
the system and shouldn't be down for longer than a few minutes.

I've heard about Dyndns? They provide automatic failover if one server does
down, what I want to know is if I can do the same using Bind? And if it's
possible to do it automatically? Without human intervention.

I don't want a round-robin solution, I want a automatic switchover if
primary box goes down.

Regards
Per Qvindesland