[CentOS] help with alternatives

German Andres Pulido gpulido at gtscolombia.com
Fri Feb 20 23:38:07 UTC 2009

> But second, if I was to configure it myself, the syntax is
>
> alternatives --install link name path priority    ... and other
> optional stuff
>

> Looking at other examples, I'm not clear on the difference between
> link and path in this command
>
> Thanks,
> Tony Schreiner
> Boston College

For better understanding, try checking the manpage for alternatives:

man alternatives

However, the difference between link and path is that link is the file you
want to use as command (for instance, /usr/bin/java), and path is the actual
file that is executed by that command (for instance, /opt/jre/bin/java). Link
will be a symlink to path. A better explained example is in this page:

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f7.html#java

Regards.