[CentOS] Easiest way to get samba up and working for Windows users?

Noob Centos Admin centos.admin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 01:10:29 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 1:20 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> That makes it somewhat harder to use multiple machines since you end up
> having to create and maintain passwords on each.

True, but the usual work behaviour here means that seldom happen. Even
if they do need to work on somebody else's machine, most customers
simply used the permissions of whoever it is.

I've not quite succeeded in convincing any of them that it's a bad
idea to let everybody else in the department know your password for
"convenience".

> If you have to ask things like that, I'd recommend looking at the free
> SME server distribution.  It mostly uses Centos packages, but is a
> 'windows server' appliance that will do everything you are likely to
> need and more (including acting as a domain controller) with all
> administration through simple web forms.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look at it but chances are I
won't actually get to try it until at least a couple of months later
either with a new server or an existing. No point ruffling feathers
after just fixing what was broken! :D