[CentOS] Firefox plugins gone (but only for one user)

Rob Kampen

rkampen at kampensonline.com
Thu Feb 26 04:17:30 UTC 2009

Hi gurus
I have a CentOS 5.2 current x86_64 that has Thunderbird and Firefox
working well for one user account (my wife) but will not play nice for
my account.
I have uninstalled thunderbird and firefox (via yum) and re-installed -
no change.
I have just wiped the .mozilla folder and started afresh, but it still
shows no plugins, yet the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ has the
libflashplayer.so link etc.

How does all this stuff get hooked up.

I have previously installed firefox direct from their site and not used
the CentOS supplied rpm, but now that RH say the light and provides a
current version, I use the yum process to get my firefox installed.
Everything was working a week or so ago, but when I tried fixing things
yesterday, all went rapidly pear shaped.
In firefox I pressed the Check Now button under Firefox > Preferences >
Advanced > System Defaults and now its gone and lost all my plugins
Any idea how to get them back?

Looking on the support.mozilla.com/firefox site provides little linux
help and seems oriented to windoze users.
Appreciate some insight from those who know how this distro hangs it all
together.