[CentOS] Need to test serial port connection

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 27 10:52:24 UTC 2009

On Friday 27 February 2009 00:17, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 5:17 AM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>
wrote:
> > I recently bought a new UPS, and I'm attempting to use nut to  monitor
> > it. Following setup instructions everything seemed to go well until it
> > came to testing the connection, which failed.
>
> <snip>
> Possibly something  on one of these URLs will help you;
>
> http://www.networkupstools.org/
>
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/UPS-HOWTO/#AEN187
>
> You are trying to use nut and it is failing. Have you tried to use
> something else, to verify the connection is working OK?

http://www.networkupstools.org/ has a page where it gives all the necessary
config changes for a Mandriva system. Since that is very similar to any
RH-based system I used that for checking.  Almost everything was exactly as I
had set it up.  To complete the match, I added the 'allowfrom' line, and
changed user from root to the designated ups user, then tried to start the
service:

[root at borg2 ~]# service upsd start
upsd: unrecognized service
[root at borg2 ~]# service upsmon start
upsmon: unrecognized service

At that point I felt utterly defeated and uninstalled nut.

The Liebert manual gives requirements for running on Linux, amounting to RHEL4
and quite low-end hardware.  Installation instructions are minimal - it seems
to imply that if you use Linux you know exactly what you are doing :-)

I identified the correct install file on the CD,  and changed to that
directory.  Then:

[root at borg2 Linux]# sh ML_36_003_Linux_x86.bin
Using /tmp for temporary storage.
Unpacking to /tmp/ML.tar...
tail: cannot open `ML_36_003_Linux_x86.bin' for reading: No such file or
directory
Checksumming...
Unable to perform the installation. Either the distribution
file is corrupt or there is insufficient free space in /tmp.
This product requires free space at least 3 times the size
of the distribution file in /tmp. If that much is available,
please try downloading the file again.
Use 'ML_36_003_Linux_x86.bin <path>' to specify an alternate temporary
directory.
[root at borg2 Linux]# ML_36_003_Linux_x86.bin
-bash: ML_36_003_Linux_x86.bin: command not found
[root at borg2 Linux]# sh ./ML_36_003_Linux_x86.bin
Using /tmp for temporary storage.
Unpacking to /tmp/ML.tar...
Checksumming...
Extracting...
pwd=/tmp/ML

Please wait while the MultiLink installation starts...

./Setup install
* Checking kernel version (2.4.18 or later required)...
* Checking for glibc...
* Checking glibc version (2.2.4 or later required)...
Uncompressing JRE distribution
./bin/jvmShell install /tmp/ML ./install/install.cfg
Extracting JVM files to /tmp/ML/jre
/tmp/ML/jre/bin/java -cp .:/tmp/ML/lib/em.jar -Djava.compiler=NONE
install.LxInstall install ./install/install.cfg /tmp
Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /tmp/ML/jre/lib/i386/libawt.so: libXp.so.6:
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
        at sun.security.action.LoadLibraryAction.run(Unknown Source)
        at sun.awt.NativeLibLoader.loadLibraries(Unknown Source)
        at sun.awt.DebugHelper.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Component.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
The operation is complete.

Does this mean that I need Sun java installed?  (I have java-1.6.0-openjdk.)
Or is there a conflict between the installed java and what it is trying to
do?

I'm not sure why everything I try to do gets so complicated, but I can only
assume that I look for trouble and find it :-)

Anne