[CentOS] (a) WinPower RPM available? (b) where to install if use tar.gz file?

Fri Feb 27 19:23:42 UTC 2009

On 2/27/09, Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov> wrote:
> Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> (b) If I need to download the tar.gz file and install from that, it
>> looks from their documentation that they install into
>> /opt/MonitorSoftware     Is it better to install into /usr/local or
>> into /opt? What is the recommendation for a CentOS box, when
>> installing non RPM software? Where best to install non RPM stuff? TIA!
>
> I prefer /usr/local and that seems to be more common, but either should
> work.  As for tarball installs - to be avoided if possible

Phil: Thank you.   /usr/local    if I need to install tarballs. Which
I avoid, if possible!

 - there's
> always checkinstall.
>
> Name   : checkinstall
> Arch   : i386
> Version: 1.6.0
> Release: 3.el5.rf
> Size   : 82 k
> Repo   : rpmforge
> CheckInstall keeps track of all the files created or modified by your
> installation script ("make install" "make install_modules", "setup",
> etc), builds a standard binary package and installs it in your system
> giving you the ability to uninstall it with your distribution's
> standard package management  utilities.

Wow. Thank you!  I will install Checkinstall, in a few minutes. We
have fresh Colombian coffee in the kitchen. Colombian Beer is also
very good. We are *big* fans of the Space Shuttle program.    Lanny