[CentOS] Easiest way to get samba up and working for Windows users?

Noob Centos Admin centos.admin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 18:44:43 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 2:21 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> But, if you want to do it the hard way, you probably have an

Unfortunately I do want to do it the hard way. While the SME server
would make things really easy, the lesson I learnt in the past with
easy thing is that, once something break, I will really have no idea
what is going on.

It's kind of like folks who grew up knowing only GUI, they usually are
helpless if the mouse doesn't work.

> authentication issue.  With the default security setting of 'user', the
> windows users must authenticate before they can even see a share - and
> things get weird if the name they used to log into windows is not the
> same as the linux/samba login name.   You can still map drives if you
> explicitly specify \\server\share, 'connect as other user' and fill in
> the name and password, but browsing for shares often doesn't work.

I think we have a winner! This could be it as the names they use to
log into their Windows machine are not their own. Most of them are
inherited PC, they simply continued using the previous login since no
password were set, usually.

Where as the other location was a new setup with new PC setup.

> you aren't too concerned about security, you can change this to
> 'security = share' and then you can browse before authenticating, and
> also have the option to authenticate as different users when connecting
> to different shares on the same machine which you can't do in user or
> server modes.

I'll probably do this since this is what they are used to, and expect.

> I don't understand the log issue, though.  Are you sure smbd is running?
>    Nmbd would be enough to activate the netbios name - maybe you have a
> syntax error in smb.conf and smbd did not start.

Definitely running. I have tail -f on both their logs and ls the log
folder every time. The startup message gets logged everytime I did a
service restart on trying a different setting. Which was why I was
curious why there was no log message whatsoever.

The other machine would show new logs for connecting IP/machines (I
think as a result of me using the split log function) even if they got
rejected.