[CentOS] Sun Java on CentOS 5

Tue Feb 10 01:53:20 UTC 2009
Nataraj <incoming-centos at rjl.com>

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 18:09 -0700, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> The wiki has a long procedure for installing Sun JDK 1.6 but not JRE.
> What's the benefit to installing the JDK this way (repackaging it)?

This is described to some extent in the wiki.  My understanding is that
the jdk is the development environment which includes the JRE.  Some
applications do not work unless particular versions of java are
installed in particular ways.  The method which uses "alternatives"
allows you to manage symbolic links and change between different
installed version of rpm packages and also to use "system-switch-java"
to simultaneously change the web browser plugins, the jre and the
commandline java (each can be changed seperately with the alternatives
command).

The package rebuilding process rebuilds the package so it installs in a
different location which is pointed to by the symbolic links when that
version is selected.

Nataraj