[CentOS] real SATA RAID

Sun Feb 8 21:42:32 UTC 2009
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Bill Campbell wrote:
> This thread brings up a question I have been meaning to ask for a
> while.  I have a Supermicro box with an Adaptec AIC-8120 on a
> X5DPL-TGM main board.  It is working fine with CentOS 5.something,
> at least as far as basic operations.
>
> My question is whether there is anything similar to the 3ware
> 3dm2 management software for this under Linux?

That is a simple 8 port SATA controller chip.   Any 'RAID' it supports
is fake-raid implemented in the BIOS/Drivers, you're better off using
Linux native mdraid.

The 3ware and Areca controllers mentioned repeatedly here have their own
RAID processors, cache ram, and (optional?) battery backup, and
implement 'hardware raid' where the OS drivers see as a single logical
drive for each RAID volume built.