[CentOS] What is the System Event Log?

Mon Feb 9 06:42:19 UTC 2009
John <jses27 at gmail.com>

If you have OMSA installed you can check out those logs. Ipmi and Dmidecode
as mentioned and  check out linux.dell.com Wiki for support and diagnostic
tools. Depending on what you have installed on that particular server there
can be many logs to check out under /var/log/*

> I didn't see anything helpful there.
> As far as I could see, the last messages before the crash
> were about samba, which is running on the machine.
> Has anyone had such problems with Samba?
> I've stopped the smb service to see if this improves matters.

Post the Samba Messages and the log. No problems with samba that I know of
unless your trying to run version 4.

> I'm running a standard updated system.
> I looked at smartctl but this did not suggest
> that there was anything wrong with the 2 SATA disks.
>
> Incidentally, wouldn't it be a good idea for /var/log/messages*
> to start a new file when booting?

When it gets to a certain size limit it will rollover to a new log. Lastly
you can send a mail to
"linux-poweredge at dell.com"

JohnStanley