[CentOS] clustering and load balancing Apache

Tue Feb 10 10:31:26 UTC 2009
Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de>

Sergej Kandyla schrieb:

> Hi,
> apache is good as backend server for dynamic applications.
> You could use something like nginx, haproxy as frontend for balancing
> multiple backend servers.
> I'm using nginx. This light web server could serve many thousand
> concurrent connections! It works great!
>
> look at
> http://wiki.codemongers.com/NginxLoadBalanceExample
> http://blog.kovyrin.net/2006/08/25/haproxy-load-balancer/lang/en/
> http://blog.kovyrin.net/2006/05/18/nginx-as-reverse-proxy/lang/en/
> and http://highscalability.com/

Yup. NGINX is probably the fastest way to serve content nowadays.
But content has to be static and be available as a file (AFAIK) directly
to NGINX.

There's also "varnish", if you can't meet the above provision easily.

> Another issue is keeping content synchronizing between apache servers.
> There are several solutions: NAS\SAN or programbased DRBD
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRBD.

Or GFS, if one is into this sort of stuff...
But a NAS is much less complex to debug ;-)

Rainer