[CentOS] Lost konqueror navigation toolbars

Wed Feb 18 16:55:18 UTC 2009
Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 15:52, Steve Huff wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2009, at 9:38 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > If I knew what provides these I could copy them from another
> > account.  Can
> > anyone help, please?  Do you know what causes a toolbar to be
> > displayed?  All
> > the toolbars are visible in other users' konqueror, so I don't think
> > anything
> > vital is lost.
>
> i do not know where specifically in the KDE config toolbar settings
> are stored.
>
> have you made extensive customizations to your KDE desktop?  if not
> (and even if you have) the easiest route for you may be something like
> the following:
>
> % cd ~
> % rm -rf .kde-backup && mv .kde .kde-backup
> % cp -a /etc/skel/.kde .kde
>
> then log out and log back in, choosing the default KDE session.  KDE
> should detect a brand new ~/.kde and populate it accordingly (take a
> look at /usr/share/xsessions/kde.desktop if you're interested in
> seeing what it's going to do).
>
> at this point i would expect you to see a functional KDE desktop with
> the default config.  you can then proceed to configure your desktop as
> you see fit.  if you want to see what is different between the stock
> config and your config, start with `diff -br --brief .kde .kde-backup`
> and go from there.

After the hours I've spent diffing files, trying to find the problem, you are
quite right that the obvious solution is to start from a clean .kde.  I have
a working konqueror, now, thanks.  All that's left is to see which files need
copying back from the old .kde.  I suspect that I  could copy them en masse
as long as I missed the konqueror files, but I won't :-)

Anne