[CentOS] Question about sub-domains

Wed Feb 18 20:46:06 UTC 2009
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Joost Waversveld wrote:
> Bo Lynch wrote:
>
>> We currently have a web server that is running apache on cent 5.2.
>> We are upgrading our student info system so that it allows web access and
>> the vendor (powerschool) is stating that this has to be a registered
>> domain or a sub domain and only runs on Windows Server. My question is can
>> you tell apache to point a subdomain to a diiferent IP address. For
>> example, Our domain is currently amelia.k12.va.us. If someone goes to
>> powerschool.amelia.k12.va.us it points to another IP other than itself?
>> I have no experience with sub-domains so any input would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>> Thanks
>>

> You do not have to do this in Apache. The thing you need is a change in
> the DNS. The DNS is a system that convert names (Like
> powerschool.amelia.k12.va.us) in ip addresses.
>
> To change the DNS you need to contact the person / company that controls
> the DNS of your domain.

who appears to be...

    $ host -t NS amelia.k12.va.us
    amelia.k12.va.us name server ns1-auth.sprintlink.net.
    amelia.k12.va.us name server ns2-auth.sprintlink.net.
    amelia.k12.va.us name server ns3-auth.sprintlink.net.
    amelia.k12.va.us name server dns-netva.bev.net.

for whatever thats worth (about US$0.02)