[CentOS] realtime backup

Wed Feb 18 21:45:53 UTC 2009
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 2-18-2009 1:36 PM Ian Forde spake the following:
> On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 15:35 -0500, Toby Bluhm wrote:
>> For a speedy backup, could put the db on LVM. Then your procedure would
>> be shutdown/freeze db, make lv snapshot, startup/unfreeze db,
>> rsync/backup data, remove snapshot.
>
> That's what I'd suggest too, but be warned that performance on that
> database (if gets to be of any size to be useful) would completely
> suck... not unlike driving at 90mph and with the ebrake on and
> constantly up-and-down-shifting...
>
> 	-I

Would a decent alternative would be a master/slave, with the dumps being done
from the slave. That way if the slave bogs down during the dump, it can catch
up afterwards. The master shouldn't slow down at all, or very minimally as it
is caching the slave transactions.