[CentOS] help with alternatives

Thu Feb 19 16:21:41 UTC 2009
Tony Schreiner <schreian at bc.edu>

On Feb 19, 2009, at 10:00 AM, Tony Schreiner wrote:

> I've installed java-1.6.0-openjdk (from EPEL) on a CentOS 5.2 x86_64
> system and see that it has not registered itself with alternatives.
>
> First, is there a reason I should know about that it does not set
> itself up as an alternative?
>
> But second, if I was to configure it myself, the syntax is
>
> alternatives --install link name path priority    ... and other
> optional stuff
>

> Looking at other examples, I'm not clear on the difference between
> link and path in this command
>
> Thanks,
> Tony Schreiner
> Boston College

Sorry to follow up to myself

rpm -q --scripts java-1.6.0-openjdk

actually shows it has commands to install itself in alternatives, but
it didn't happen. I ran the commands by hand and got the error

link /usr/share/javaws incorrect for slave javaws (/usr/bin/javaws
javaws)

that's why it didn't install. I can remove the part about javaws from
the script and it works. Will investigate why that at some point.

Tony