[CentOS] new user - with questions

Sat Feb 21 16:19:14 UTC 2009
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 10:32 PM, Michael Klinosky <mpk2 at enter.net> wrote:
> I've been using Fedora since about the FC6 era, for home use. I don't
> like the 6 month upgrade (or re-install) concept, and I don't need the
> latest & greatest versions of apps. So, CentOS sounds enticing.
<snip>
I want to add several things, to the previous (and excellent) replies.
(a) This is an Enterprise Distro, lacking  a lot of Multimedia
Applications you might have had in FC. Follow this page on the CentOS
Wiki:
<http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/MultimediaOnCentOS>
(b) Install the Priorities Plug in and verify that it works, before
you use any 3rd party yum repositories
<http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities>
(c) Instll the FastestMirror Plug In
<http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/FastestMirror>
This is a super mailing list, with extremely helpful people, including
the Developers participating. Welcome!