[CentOS] 4 X 500 gb drives - best software raid config for a backup server?

Mon Feb 23 02:51:24 UTC 2009
Noob Centos Admin <centos.admin at gmail.com>

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 7:05 PM, Ian Forde <ian at duckland.org> wrote:

> RAID in software, whether RAID1 or RAID5/6, always has manual steps
> involved in recovery.  If one is using standardized hardware, such as HP
> DL-x80 hardware or Dell x950 boxes, HW RAID obviates the need for a
> "recovery procedure".  It's just easier.  You can still boot from a
> single drive, since that's what the bootloader sees.  There are no
> vendor instructions or utilities needed for recovery.  Nor is there a
> backup controller needed.

If I have to do hardware raid, I'll definitely spec in a backup controller.
Learnt this the hard way when my raid 5 controller died years after I first
got it and I could no longer find a replacement.

For high budget projects, having the extra raid controller as insurance
isn't a big deal. But for most budget setup and cost conscious clients, soft
raid obviates that hardware dependency.