[CentOS] Easiest way to get samba up and working for Windows users?

Wed Feb 25 02:30:15 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Noob Centos Admin wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 1:20 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That makes it somewhat harder to use multiple machines since you end up
>> having to create and maintain passwords on each.
>
> True, but the usual work behaviour here means that seldom happen. Even
> if they do need to work on somebody else's machine, most customers
> simply used the permissions of whoever it is.
>
> I've not quite succeeded in convincing any of them that it's a bad
> idea to let everybody else in the department know your password for
> "convenience".

This becomes much easier when you have appropriate shared space on the
server(s) with group access permissions so there is never any need to
impersonate someone else.

>> If you have to ask things like that, I'd recommend looking at the free
>> SME server distribution.  It mostly uses Centos packages, but is a
>> 'windows server' appliance that will do everything you are likely to
>> need and more (including acting as a domain controller) with all
>> administration through simple web forms.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look at it but chances are I
> won't actually get to try it until at least a couple of months later
> either with a new server or an existing. No point ruffling feathers
> after just fixing what was broken! :D

You can always fire one up under vmware or a test box to see how it works.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com