[CentOS] xen on CentOS 4.7

Thu Feb 26 02:18:49 UTC 2009
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Agile Aspect wrote:
> I'm new to Xen and I'm not familiar with the jargon.

Xen is a full hypervisor that boots in FIRST, then loads a supervisory
master OS into "dom0", typically this is CentOS5 (or another late model
linux distribution) which Xen is bundled with.... Then you can load
other guest OS's into dom1, dom2, etc which are collectively known as
domU (eg, U = 1,2,3...).

VirtualBox is a guest hypervisor that runs under a parent OS.    If you
couldn't get Virtualbox working, you might try VMware Server, I've had
very good luck running this on CentOS 4, and hosting both linux and
windows domains under it.

Note there are some constraints with all these virtualization systems...
To run a 64 bit guest OS you need a processor that supports hardware
virtualization assist, AMD-V or Intel VT.   Early Opteron and Xeon 64bit
CPUs didn't support this, later ones do.