[CentOS] Need to test serial port connection

Thu Feb 26 14:19:08 UTC 2009
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 8:37 AM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 12:31 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
>> On Thursday 26 February 2009 11:34, William L. Maltby wrote:
>> ><snip>
>> > As to the OP original question, check BIOS settings and make sure your
>> > serial is enabled. Set it to COM 3 and IRQ 4 should work. This would
>> > equate to "0" in an *IX system.
>> >
>> Yes, it says
>>
>> COM Port 1 3F8/IRQ4

The Leibert manual for the UPS hopefully has some data about the
software they supply with it, assuming they do supply software with
it.

Disable the Serial Ports they are not using, in BIOS.

Probably 8N1 for the communications settings, along with the Baud
rate? Like Bill, it's been a long time since I did anything with
RS-232C communications..

Check the connector on the box, to be sure the  cable to it is seated properly.

The cable they supplied with the UPS is probably OK, but, maybe not.

Even in the 3 off brand UPS we bought, a few weeks ago, they have
capability to communicate.  Not using it, but on the box it says,
"RS-232 Interface Monitoring UPS status through RS-232 Communication
Port by downloaded software".

If your UPS didn't come with Software, see if they have it available
for Download. I suspect they do. Probably, it'll only work with M$
Windows, but if you can install it on a  Windoze box, you can get an
idea of what they want. If you are very lucky, it will work on Linux
too.   GL