[CentOS] Is GFS for HPC?

Fri Feb 27 00:44:36 UTC 2009
Joe Barjo <jobarjo78 at yahoo.fr>

I'd also like to test gfs for a 30 nodes cluster with sge.
Tasks are often quite short, files are also quite small. Job rate can be
quite high (can reach 10 to 20/second)
We actualy use NFS under centos4.7 and experience coherency problems.
I tested AFS, lustre, glusterFS. All showed too much overhead with small
files, and less performance than nfs.

The coherency problem seems related to the ext3 timestamp resolution (1
second), and the poor NFS cache system. It is not coherent even with the
noac (no attribute cache option)

First GFS test on 6 nodes (with gnbd) were ok, but there had been
unexplained kernel panics (even when not working) that prevented further
tests.

I will try to upgrade the cluster to a more recent distribution and test GFS
on 30 nodes.