[CentOS] Kerberos 1.6.3 on centos 4/5??

Fri Feb 27 18:59:56 UTC 2009
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 5:03 AM, Thomas Johansson <thomasj at isy.liu.se> wrote:
> Hi
>
> My problem is related to clientless authentication for printing. We are
> evaluating if it's worth the trouble on centos. Uppgrading cups is not a
> problem That i have already solved. Further research also states that
> kerberos have to be version 1.6.3. This is a big problem. Neither centos
> 4 nor centos 5 have the required version of kerberos. Compiling my own
> compile kerberos is not something i want to do!
>
> Is it worth it or even possible to upgrade kerberos to 1.6.3 or will we
> most likely break something else with an upgrade?? No rpms are available
> and i suppose there's a reason for that. There's no problem compiling
> cups or kerberos on both platforms. I just wanna find out if it is worth
> the trouble we will get or if it's possible/recommended to do it?!?!.

Upgrading kerberos on CentOS systems is not a trivial task. Kerberos
is a basic component for a lot of packages which requires a large
dependency chain. I would look at it as follows:

1) CentOS-4/5 do not have kerberos needed.
2) Fedora-10/11 does have the kerberos needed.
3) CentOS-6 might be based off of Fedora-11.

Build your proof of concept project with Fedora-10 with a plan of
rebuilding the system after CentOS-6 comes out. Then you have both an
immediate win and a long term plan on how to reach a stable product.

Hope that helps.