[CentOS] Problem detecting HP Tape Drive

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Sat Jan 3 21:04:09 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-03 at 23:24 +0330, Mehdi Sarmadi wrote:

>  I do have problem using Linux with an external HP tape drive. The
> server platform is also an HP Server; the server is an HP ML350 G4,
> and the Tape drive is a HP Storage Works Ultrium 448 - 1U
> Rack-mountable.

Hi,

We used to run tape decks on all our HP servers via the cciss scsi
controller, but now only have one. For them we had to 'engage' the tape
deck before it became visible to the system. We modified
the /etc/rc.local file so that this would occur at each system boot.
Below is the script we used for this, you may well need to do something
similar:

   test -f /proc/driver/cciss/cciss2 && \
     echo 'engage scsi'  >/proc/driver/cciss/cciss2 2>/dev/null

John.