[CentOS] Checking fan state

Mon Jan 5 21:31:00 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
> I just replaced my fan in my nc2400.  It was a 5hour job.  Had to pull
> EVERYTHING to get to where they have the fan in the thing.
>
> Now I want to know if it is working.  It is suppose to be
> thermostatically controlled, and it takes time to heat up.
>
> So how can I find out what Centos knows about the system temp and fan state?
>
> It was hard to tell if I put the connector in the right way.  At least
> if that is all I did wrong, I can get to that connector with only
> pulling the drive....

No experience with that particular HW, however, I just returned, with
my Dell Dimension 2400 box, from a visit to the motherboard repairman.
I thought the Exhaust Fan for the CPU was dead (and the motherboard
damaged). He told me that when that fan runs, it rotates very slowly
(unlike the fan in the PSU) and that it probably doesn't run very
often. Each time he touched the Shroud over the CPU, it was very cool.
I read something in a forum, that said the CPU temperature can go to
100 C., in a few seconds, but I now wonder if that is true or not.
Hopefully, as the previous reply indicated, lm_sensors can tell you
what's going on. My box has a new ATX PSU and I'm *very* thankful Dell
did not install a proprietary PSU and mobo in this model!