[CentOS] Log File Reviewing

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 22:46:32 UTC 2009

Bill Campbell wrote:

> I used to some pretty complex shell and awk scripts before learning perl
> about 20 years ago.  Perl allowed me to do most things in a single language
> including fairly low-level system calls that I previously had to do with
> compiled ``C'' programs.

And you can probably still run all of your perl scripts unchanged, with
the possible exception of "@array" being interpolated in double-quoted
strings which I think started in perl4.

> I have switched all of my new development primarily to python which I find
> far cleaner than perl, and easier to use for large projects.  Python uses
> perl regular expression syntax so the transition was pretty painless.

Don't count on the same stability with python.  It has an annoying habit
  of changing syntax in non-backwards compatible ways with no provision
for running old scripts.  If you run your programs on more than one
machine you'll end up having to maintain different versions to match the
installed interpreters.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com