[CentOS] Checking fan state

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Jan 6 00:39:19 UTC 2009

Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>
>> I just replaced my fan in my nc2400.  It was a 5hour job.  Had to pull
>> EVERYTHING to get to where they have the fan in the thing.
>>
>> Now I want to know if it is working.  It is suppose to be
>> thermostatically controlled, and it takes time to heat up.
>>
>> So how can I find out what Centos knows about the system temp and fan state?
>>
>> It was hard to tell if I put the connector in the right way.  At least
>> if that is all I did wrong, I can get to that connector with only
>> pulling the drive....
>>

> No experience with that particular HW, however, I just returned, with
> my Dell Dimension 2400 box, from a visit to the motherboard repairman.
> I thought the Exhaust Fan for the CPU was dead (and the motherboard
> damaged). He told me that when that fan runs, it rotates very slowly
> (unlike the fan in the PSU) and that it probably doesn't run very
> often.

I have been listening to my fan dying. Getting louder all the time (shot
bearings or bushing or whatever it has). So I know that my old was turned.

And the unit ran hot.

Now with the new fan in, it is not turning at all, but the unit is
actually cooler than before, but still hot to touch. Could be better
contact with the heatsink.

Either I put the power connector on backwards (the manual's pic is not
clear on this, but I don't know if that connector CAN be put on
backwards), or there is something with the bios with this new fan...