[CentOS] Checking fan state

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Jan 6 01:23:28 UTC 2009

Lanny Marcus wrote:

> <snip>

> <snip>
>
>> Now with the new fan in, it is not turning at all, but the unit is
>> actually cooler than before, but still hot to touch. Could be better
>> contact with the heatsink.
>>

> Sounds like progress in the proper direction, if it is running cooler
> than before.
> <snip>
> Did you get any documentation with the fan?

No docs. But fortunately, HP has full maintainance docs available on
line. I have them for both of my HP notebooks (nc4010 and nc2400). I had
to take out EVERYTHING to get to the fan: hard and optical drives,
memory, WiFi, Bluetooth, switchs, keyboard, case cover, display, and
system board! Then I finally got to the fan and then reassemble and hope
I got all those ribbons and connectors connected right. Took about 5
hours (with 1 hour run to MicroCentor to get an T8 and T7 screwdriver,
as my T8 socket was not long enough and did not catch in pre-reading the
docs about the T7 screws). Fun. Not.

But, since this notebook 'died' the company wrote it off, and now it is
mine....

Same with the nc4010 that had a broken display hindge. That was a LOT
easier to repair.