[CentOS] Checking fan state

Morten Torstensen morten at mortent.org
Tue Jan 6 09:24:29 UTC 2009

John R Pierce wrote:
> risk?    whats risky about the hardware managing the fans without CPU
> software intervention?     If anything thats LESS risky then assuming
> the OS is properly configured to recognize the system specific fan
> hardware and will properly react to the particular boards sensor
> configurations.

That was exactly my thought too... a fully automated hardware
fan/temperature management systems is the way to go.

It would be nice to have a standard way to get readings tho even for
desktops/laptops, for your peace of mind :) lm_sensors is often useless,
as it either doesn't detect anything or the readings it gets is just
nonsense. Updating lm_sensors is not high on the priority list for Red Hat.

--

//Morten Torstensen
//Email: morten at mortent.org
//IM: morten.torstensen at gmail.com

I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer
Poland.
	-- Woody Allen