[CentOS] Anyone got Diskless BOOT working under CentOS ???

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 13:29:24 UTC 2009

JohnS wrote:

>> Im trying to get a diskless boot set up under CentOS 5.2, and having no luck
>> at all.
>>
>> I am to the point of running system-config-netboot, and whatever information
>> I put in, I get an error message.
>>
>> Responding to the 2nd button on the first popup, which asks for NFS info,
>> I put in the IP address of the current machine (the machine that will hold
>> the boot images for the diskless machine) and the root directory for the
>> diskless machine, viz
>>
>> 	/diskless/i386/CentOS5.2/root
>>
>> Which has a copy of my root file system, and in particular has a /boot
>> subdirectory.  When hitting FORWARD, I get the error message:
>>
>> 	The diskless subdirectory must be NFS exported
>> 	and contain a boot subdirectory.
>>
>> Now Ive checked, vsftpd is running, nfs is running, and the above directory
>> (and others) are in the /etc/exports file.
>>
>> I did this several years ago under Fedora, and dont remember having problems
>> like this.  Has ANYONE done this recently, and do you remember what you had
>> to do???  I would REALLY like to exchange some e-mail with you.
>> It would be nice if there was an example somewhere.
>
> Check Out:
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/DisklessClients

Or, you could install the Centos-based version of k12ltsp which has
everything set up for booting thin clients.  That's the 5EL version
here:  http://www.k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/DownLoad.  For other
purposes, drbl from http://drbl.sourceforge.net/ might work.  There are
RPMs for Centos.  It includes clonezilla, but can be configured through
a menu to boot other images.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com