[CentOS] Yum Issue.. Installing Older Package Version

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Jan 6 22:56:55 UTC 2009

on 1-6-2009 2:26 PM Tim Nelson spake the following:
> Hello fellow CentOS'ers-
> I'm trying to install a package from a not-to-be-named repository (privately operated for some proprietary software). They currently have a package I need but offer multiple versions. However, if I simply 'yum install packagename' it defaults to pulling down the most recent package. I would like to pull down the older version of the package but I'm unable to do so.
> So, how would you specify version number for a package with two candidates but the same name? I'm at a loss... :-(
I think you have to specify version. In the example;

I think you would specify yum install bind-chroot-9.3.4-6.0.1.P1

but a later update will upgrade it anyway.

If there software doesn't work with the newer version, it shouldn't be in
their repo, IMHO.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!