[CentOS] Email/GroupWare Suite

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Wed Jan 7 22:31:44 UTC 2009

Am 07.01.2009 um 22:24 schrieb Adam Tauno Williams:

>>> You'll definitely want to look at a multi-server setup for that.
>>> Put your
>>> mail/web services on one box and database/LDAP on another. Also,
>>> for such
>>> a large installation you may even want to look at their commercially
>>> supported editions. Last time I checked (admittedly quite a while
>>> ago) the
>>> pricing wasn't too horrendous and I've heard good things about their
>>> support staff.
>>> We've always opted to go with the pure open source aka self-
>>> supported
>>> version but then again we're running installations with fewer than
>>> 300
>>> users. I believe our largest installation to date is ~100 users or
>>> so.
>
>> I would have thought that this was a small install:)
>
> Agree.  If you need multi-servers for 300 hundred users something is
> just designed wrong.   Unless you've got 300 intense power users.

Even then...
300 users should fit on a desktop-class machine (provided you've got
enough RAM).
Zimbra uses Java / Jetty and thus likes to have enough RAM.
On a single server, I'd go with at least 8 GB of RAM.
Go with 64bit Linux (AMD64).
CentOS is not supported, but it seems to work nicely or now...

Rainer