[CentOS] Working - Re: Checking fan state

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Jan 8 00:55:19 UTC 2009

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote on Mon, 5 Jan 2009 19:39:19 -0500:
>

>> Now with the new fan in, it is not turning at all,
>>

> You can usually set in the BIOS if you want to use "smart fan control" (or
> what they call it) and which method (three-pin connector fans are
> controlled by power only) or "Auto". The BIOS usually can also tell you
> the temperature.

Well after the unit started overheating and the fan not turning,  I
powered off and let it cool off.

Then I went into the BIOS and set it for the fan to always run while on
AC.  Then reboot.

I will say that when the old fan was failing, there were times when I
took the unit out of hibernate and the fan never came on and the unit
began to overheat.  Turning off, or even just going into hiberhate
again, then restarting tended to get the fan working again.  Some state
lost thing. I had the unit in hibernate when I tore it apart to install
the new fan...

So now there is the bearly heard whisper of the new fan turning.  I can
actually hear myself mutter, and I don't end the day with a headache!