[CentOS] [OT] Remote control of a WinXP machine from a Linux host

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 10:41:03 UTC 2009

> No, the main problem is that A is behind my ISP's NAT. I want to access it
> from C (yes, I'll be travelling a lot and C might be just about anywhere).
> But the problem is that since A is behind a NAT, the connection must be
> initiated from A's side to C. Also, since C might be behind some other NAT,
> the connection must be initiated from C's side to A. This simply cannot work
> simultaneously, so I tried to make use of my public server B which can be
> used as a "bridge" between A and C. So, A connects to B, C connects to B, and
> then A and C communicate. Roughly speaking...
>
> That was my initial idea, but seems too complicated to work out, so I asked
> for a possible easier alternative. :-)
>
>> Or if want your own set up you could of course for example run some
>> sort of remote access service like VNC and just pay for a static IP
>> for Machine A from its ISP and set up Port Forwarding for VNC
>
> That would be the most obvious solution, if only the ISP were willing to give
> me a static IP. But they are not. :-(
>
>> (or if
>> you don't want to pay use http://www.no-ip.com/ and use their free dns
>> service where you can create a free dns name for use with dynamic
>> ip's. You just install their software on Machine A and it will login
>> to No-IP.info and check your ip is still current and if not update it
>> like if your IP changes because your dsl line drops for a minute and
>> you get a knew ip?).
>
> Hmmm... This is interesting. I'll look up to www.no-ip.com, but I think that
> such dns trick may work only with public IP numbers. And A's IP is of type
> 10.0.*.* which is a no-go, afaik.
>
> However, I might ask the ISP to provide me with a public IP. It could still be
> dynamic, but public rather than local, and in that case the trick with the
> dns just might work... ;-)
>
> Thanks for the pointer!
>
> Best, :-)
> Marko

I see now. Well in this case I would defiantly recommend something
like www.logmein.com then. All you need is http (tcp port 80) access
out, so web access and your sorted, from anywhere in the world! Just
goto www.logmein.com from Machine A and install the free version. Then
login from Machine C and connect back to your machine A and take it
over!

Or as you mentioned you could set something up like a crontab that
runs every 15 minutes and ssh's (using passwordless ssh, as in
public/shared keys?) to your static Machine B and look for a flagfile,
and if its found keep the connection open to tunnel through from
Machine C back to Machine A via static Machine B?

HTH and good luck!

Regards,
James ;)