[CentOS] Dealing with 800x480 displays

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jan 11 16:11:43 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 10:54 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 08:12 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> > Has anyone worked around the display size limit on units like the ASUS
> > eee?  They list a 800x480 display resolution, and I have encountered
> > Gnome dialogs that require at least 800x600 to see the <OK> button on
> > the bottom of the panel.
>
> Configure a virtual (panning) desktop that is larger than the physical
> screen.  This used to be *very* common back when average display
> resolutions where much lower and is well supported by X.  But I don't
> think the installers provide this option anymore when configuring X so
> you might have to play with "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".
>

> Something like:
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Screen0"
> Device "Videocard0"
> Monitor "Monitor0"
> DefaultDepth 16
> SubSection "Display"
> Viewport 0 0
> Virtual 1024 768
> Depth 16
> Modes "800x600"
> EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> - provides a 1024x768 virtual desktop on a 800x600 display.
----
agreed - I always have done something similar with my Sony Picturebook
C1X which apparently has finally bitten the dust.

The thing that I found though is that if you can only get 800 pixels
across, I might just go with an 800x600 virtual so that the only slide
was vertical because going virtual in both the X and Y axis might prove
unnerving and would be more awkward to get accustomed to.

Craig