[CentOS] Email/GroupWare Suite

Rudi Ahlers rudiahlers at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 09:19:50 UTC 2009

> Have you looked at the SME server disto from http://www.contribs.org?
> It installs as an appliance-like setup managed through a simple web
> interface.  The code is mostly centos and includes hoard webmail running
> over dovecot with maildir storage out of the box.  It doesn't have a
> shared calendar or other groupware components in the base setup and it
> is somewhat difficult to modify the already-customized configuration but
> there are a number of contributed add-ons that might provide them.
> Unfortunately the site seems to be down for maintenance right now so I
> can't check on them.  Anyway, for a few hundred people, the setup really
> is as simple as answering a few questions and adding the users and it
> can also provide file/print/web/vpn services.
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    lesmikesell at gmail.com

We have been using SME server 7.x for a long time now and I'm very
happy with it. The installation is very straight forward and it does
standard email out of the box. To get groupware, you need to install
the egroupware / phpgroupware addons and then you have a good
groupware as well. Support is generally good, but SME still runs on
CentOS 4.7 and not 5.x They are working on SME 8.x which runs on
CentOS 5.2 though, but there's no stable release yet.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers