[CentOS] mp3 to wav converter

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Mon Jan 12 15:37:08 UTC 2009

"John" <jses27 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
It's actually a tad easier than that as long as you don't mind forcing
wxGTK to stay at 2.6.3-1.  I just removed the "current" version of wxGTK
(rpm -e wxGTK-2.8.9-1.el5.rf ) and then installed
audacity-1.3.0b-1.el5.rf and wxGTK-2.6.3-1.el5.rf by doing a "yum
localinstall."  Seems to work fine although I have to do updates as "yum
--exclude wxGTK update" or the update fails dependency checks.

I posted more about how I solved the issues on my blog at
http://davenjudy.org/davesBlog/node/40

There could be an issue if some package other than audacity needs the
more recent version of wxGTK but I didn't have to force the removal of
the package.  This tells me that the easiest way to resolve this issue
may be to just "hold" wxGTK at 2.6.3-1 until the next version of
audacity is ready for prime time.  Anyone know of any other packages
that are dependent on wxGTK and need the most recent version?

Finally, if you don't want to mess with any of this, you can convert an
mp3 to wav using mpg123:

mpg123 -w infile.wav outfile.mp3

Cheers,
Dave