[CentOS] [OT] Remote control of a WinXP machine from a Linux host

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at panet.co.yu
Tue Jan 13 16:57:03 UTC 2009

On Monday 12 January 2009 03:36, Scott Silva wrote:
> on 1-9-2009 12:41 PM Marko Vojinovic spake the following:
> > I have a WinXP machine that is to be unattended for a period of 3 years
> > (yes, I know, it sounds ridiculous, but still...). What I need is remote
> > access to it to perform regular system maintenance, virus cleanups,
> > occasional software installations, reboots, config changes, etc.
>
> There is an application based on VNC called teamviewer that can be set to
> start automatically and points to a central server so that you can always
> find the system. It crosses NAT easily and can be set with a fixed
> password.

Ok, thanks, I'll look at teamviewer as well.

For the record, yesterday I investigated all options so far mentioned in the
thread (except for teamviewer, of course), and found that openvpn is actually
the best way to go, for me at least. Other tools are also not bad, but some
are not cost-free (or have a trial-only period), some fail over NAT, and some
just don't feel robust enough (this is just a personal feeling, of course).

Openvpn is completely cost-free (and also open-source), very well documented
and gives a very large amount of control in how to setup the virtual network.
And it doesn't depend on third-party servers, just me and myself
involved. ;-) In fact, it seems that most of other tools use openvpn in the
background, and just automate the configuration and installation, and
dumb-down the vpn flexibility in the process.

Not to say they don't work or are not good at what they do, it's just my
gut-feeling that they are not "serious" enough. I feel they may have too many
points of failure, where openvpn has less.

So, it will eventually be openvpn or teamviewer (if it is good enough for my
taste).

Big thanks to all of you! :-)

Best, :-)
Marko