[CentOS] Guidelines for CentOS Mailing List posts

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 02:12:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 20:25 -0800, MHR wrote:
>>
>> Well, there goes the neighborhood....
>>
>> No more fun aloud here!
>>
>> <snicker>
> ----
> This type of post is equally offensive

OMG!  :-}

I realize that my obviously feeble attempt at humor wasn't all that
great, but offensive?  Really?

This is email - it is relatively flat and utterly lacking in tone
(ignoring smilies and as long as civilized language is used).  Thus,
offense is largely in the mind of the reader.  Suppose you read the
post as if it were NOT intended to be offensive - would it still be
so?  I doubt it.

Yes, we have serious work to do here, both in asking and in answering
questions and issues regarding CentOS and various parts of and
attached to it.  Does that also mean that we are not permitted to
enjoy the list?

I also realize that some people on this list at one time or another
are under tremendous stress, and occasionally (or often) jump at small
things with overkill reactions - I've done that enough in other past
lives and make a conscious effort to avoid it now, in most cases with
most people, especially those who are special, either to me or for
other reasons, like the CentOS developers.

Sometimes people get carried away with tangents or completely
off-topic issues, or just plain rude behavior.  Regardless of my
pathetic attempt at humor, it was not rude and was not aimed as an
insult to anyone in particular (I rather like Mr. Vandaman, even if he
comes across to me as a bit stiff at times - so do I), a gentle
reminder is usually sufficient to guide a person or a whole thread
back to something useful.

Speaking of which, I think this one has run its course and, if
continued, will do no good.  Shall we not end it and get back to real
CentOS questions and issues?

Thanks.

mhr