[CentOS] (Semi-OT) Problems with Firefox

Sam Drinkard sam at wa4phy.net
Wed Jan 14 15:53:38 UTC 2009

William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 10:07 -0500, Sam Drinkard wrote:
>
>> Lanny Marcus wrote:

>>> Can you verify the Firefox Package, to see that it is or is not corrupted?
>>>

>> Yes, I've removed and reinstalled via yum and the Centos repo.
>>

> Again, I'm really ignorant, but I have one other thought. Have you tried
> moving all the user-specific stuff directory to another name and letting
> FF start up "fresh"? I recently had a problem regarding the destruction
> of the pluginreg.dat. Still waiting to hear if I should post a bug on
> it. The problem was having FF check to see if it was the default browser
> (needs to be disabled). Anyway, since you've re-installed, maybe
> something corrupted some configuration files.
>
> It's easy to do, so worth a try I guess.
>
> The ones with which I'm familiar are ~/.mozilla/firefox and ~/.mozilla/
> although I don't think the latter one is involved. There's probably some
> system-wide ones, but I've never had to chase those down yet.
>
> BTW, did you try an rpm verify after the re-install? We don't want to
> "assume" that things were not corrupted by the download/install process.
>

>>> <snip sig stuff>
>>>

> I need to add you to my spell-checker. It want's me to believe you're a
> "Drunkard". :-)
>
> HTH

Hahahahahaha!  That's about what I feel like this morning Bill.  Too
many 'rita's yesterday evening.  I thought of removing all the mozilla
stuff in home to see if that helped, but have not gotten a roundtuit
yet.  I did verify the file, and it checks out ok.  Now that the inbox
is cleaned up, I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks..

Sam