[CentOS] CENTOS 4.7 or 5.2 32 bits O.S. for ORACLE DB server??

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Fri Jan 16 23:11:59 UTC 2009

mcclnx mcc wrote:
> we plan to setup our ORACLE database server (32 bits DB) and use dell r900
> server.  This server can put up to 128GB RAM.
>
> We are thinking use 32 bits CENTOS 4.7 or 5.2.  My concern about CENTOS 5.2
> is it only support up to 16 GB RAM on 32 bits O.S.
>
> Any suggestion?

I would not use CentOS at all if for anything else than Oracle
won't support it. Oracle linux is a clone of RHEL and I believe
is pretty cheap, otherwise RHEL 5 Advanced.

Even Oracle SE One seems to be roughly $5800 for a license. It's
crazy to try to save a couple hundred bucks a month for something
as important as an Oracle database.

Also for sure go 64-bit if your going with an R900. I'd be surprised
if Oracle even had a 32-bit version anymore.

Oracle SE(not SE One) is a great value compared to Oracle EE, I used
both at my last company and SE was certainly a better product for
the money. Though I did miss being able to use EM. Oracle EE only
for those who have bottomless pockets.

Unless your using a really old version of Oracle for some reason,
otherwise I assume your using at least 10Gr2 or 11G.

nate