[CentOS] CENTOS 4.7 or 5.2 32 bits O.S. for ORACLE DB server??

Morten Torstensen morten at mortent.org
Mon Jan 19 12:12:51 UTC 2009

Warren Young wrote:
> All this aside: you aren't seriously trying to talk this guy into using
> PAE mode, are you?  Are you not, in fact, just being pedantic, yet agree
> with me on the most important point, which is that he should be using a
> 64-bit OS and application here?

I hope he is not. Based on real world experience with running Oracle RAC
on RHEL with 16 CPUs and 16GB memory on a NUMA machine, I would
discourage anyone running PAE on systems with much more than 8GB.

Basically, for any RDBMS server, I would go 64-bit even if your machine
only had 4GB memory (or 2GB)... almost for sure your database will need
more memory sooner rather than later, and 8-16GB memory on a RDBMS isn't
that much anymore.

--

//Morten Torstensen
//Email: morten at mortent.org
//IM: morten.torstensen at gmail.com

I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer
Poland.
	-- Woody Allen