[CentOS] Help with a good recovery plan.. Linux rescue?

Glenn

centos at 1bigadmin.biz
Mon Jan 19 21:14:48 UTC 2009

Hello All,

I have a machine that crashed. Some part of the motherboard (power
supply-related) went south.

The motherboard, CPU and memory have been replaced with a much newer
architecture. The OS and data are intact on two SATA drives that were
RAID1 with LVM.

I am going to use 'linux rescue' to recover the LVM backup so I can
mount the RAIDs (there were two) in a new CentOS install, on a third disk.

I have no indication that I could recover the previous CentOS
(somewhere between CentOS 5.1 and 5.2 on updates).

Can I use 'linux rescue' to fix that OS up to boot it? The kernel
panics in its current state (because the hardware architecture is so
strikingly different). What is the methodology of fixing the kernel
in this circumstance?

Thanks in Advance!
Glenn